Addison Teng, Director
Guarneri Hall Summer Music Academy is an intensive training program for serious young string players taught by world-class faculty. The Academy is a rigorous program that will run full-day on weekdays and half-day on Saturdays for four weeks in July and August. Our inaugural 2020 season was conducted entirely virtually; in 2021 we will transition to in-person instruction if circumstances allow.
Read about the faculty, curriculum, tuition, and how to apply below.
Director: Addison Teng
- Paul Hauer, violin
- Stefan Hersh, violin
- Amy Hess, viola
- Addison Teng, violin
Guest instructors in 2020:
- Master classes with James Ehnes, Miriam Fried, and Paul Huang
- Orchestral audition and protocol with Paul Hauer (Milwaukee Symphony)
- History of the violin with Julian Hersh (Darnton & Hersh Fine Violins)
- Care and maintenance of string instruments with Michael Darnton (Darnton & Hersh Fine Violins)
All private and group classes will be conducted via Zoom.
- Minimum of two online private one-hour lessons per week, per student
- Two online studio classes per week
- A weekly online class on related non-performance subjects
- One technique class per week, which will include scale, etude and bow arm instruction
- Performance analysis class—topics will include analysis and discussion of various videos and score studying techniques
- End-of-day group discussions regarding progress and goals
- End-of-session awards ceremony with prizes
Each student follows an intensive daily schedule that includes both individual and group activities. Mornings are devoted to private lessons, individual practice, journaling, goal-setting, and teacher check-ins. After lunch, depending on the day, students attend master classes, lectures (which require follow-up essay-writing), and technique and studio classes, with time allotted for individual practice and group journal discussions. The Academy will close with a final day awards ceremony and celebration.
The 2021 schedule will be posted in spring 2021.
Any time that part or all of the Academy is taught virtually, participants should make sure they have the appropriate technology and environment in place so that their experience will be a successful and enjoyable one.
The application form will be available in early 2021. To preserve our favorable student/teacher ratio, enrollment is strictly limited.
Applications must include:
- A complete application form, submitted online
- Video performance of two contrasting works on video uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo (Please note that video quality is important. Applicants who submit videos of substandard fidelity will be given lower priority.)
- Private teacher's recommendation letter, emailed to SMA@guarnerihall.org
- $30 application fee
If you would like to receive a notification when the 2021 application is posted, please email SMA@guarnerihall.org.