Addison Teng, Director
Guarneri Hall is proud to launch its 2020 Summer Music Academy (Virtual), an intensive training program for serious string players taught by world class faculty. The Academy is a rigorous, full-day program that will run for three weeks, Monday through Friday, from July 12 through July 31, 2020.
Read about the faculty, curriculum, tuition, and how to apply (including a link to the application form, due June 26) below.
Director: Addison Teng
- Paul Hauer, violin
- Stefan Hersh, violin
- Amy Hess, viola
- Addison Teng, violin
- Master classes with James Ehnes, Miriam Fried, and Paul Huang
- Orchestral audition and protocol with Paul Hauer (Milwaukee Symphony)
- Care and maintenance of string instruments with Michael Darnton (Darnton & Hersh Fine Violins)
All private and group classes will be conducted via Zoom.
- Minimum of two online private one-hour lessons per week, per student
- Two online studio classes per week
- A weekly online class on related non-performance subjects
- One technique class per week, which will include scale, etude and bow arm instruction
- Performance analysis class—topics will include analysis and discussion of various videos and score studying techniques
- End-of-day group discussions regarding progress and goals
- End-of-session awards ceremony with prizes
Each student follows an intensive Monday-through-Friday schedule that combines individual and group activities. Mornings are devoted to private lessons, individual practice, journaling, goal-setting, and teacher check-ins. After lunch, depending on the day, students attend master classes, lectures (which require follow-up essay-writing), and technique and studio classes, with time allotted for individual practice and group journal discussions. Students will also enjoy a virtual concert with NEXUS Chamber Music Chicago and the Academy will close with a final day awards ceremony and virtual ice cream social.
Since this year’s Academy is entirely virtual, participants should make sure they have the appropriate technology and environment in place so that their experience will be a successful and enjoyable one.
To preserve our favorable student/teacher ratio, enrollment is strictly limited. Applications submitted online by 5 PM CST on June 12, 2020 will receive priority enrollment status. Priority status applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications by 5 PM CST on June 15, 2020. Applications will continue to be processed until 5 PM, June 26th. Qualified applicants whose applications are received after the enrollment cap has been exceeded will be placed on an alternate list. Successful priority status applicants are required to submit tuition payment online by 5 PM CST June 29th, 2020 to ensure their position in the program. Alternate candidates will be offered positions in the program for all slots for which tuition has not been received, on the morning of June 30th, and processed in the order in which tuition payment is received until the enrollment cap has been met.
Applications must include:
- Complete application form, submitted online
- Video performance of two contrasting works on video uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo (Please note that video quality is important. Applicants who submit videos of substandard fidelity will be given lower priority.)
- Private teacher's recommendation letter, emailed to SMA@guarnerihall.org
- $30 application fee