Addison Teng, Director
We are excited to announce that the Fulton Summer Music Academy will take place this year from July 11 through August 7, 2021 (orientation on Sunday, July 11). We are keeping a close eye on the COVID-19 pandemic; the safety of our students and faculty is our highest priority. To allow maximum flexibility for all students at the Academy, we will be offering both online and select in-person classes. Application for the 2021 season is open now. The deadline is March 31, 2021. Late applications will be considered on a space-available basis.
The Fulton Summer Music Academy (previously called the Guarneri Hall Summer Music Academy) is an intensive training program for serious string players taught by world-class faculty. The Academy is a rigorous program that runs full-day on weekdays and half-day on Saturdays for four weeks in July and August.
In 2020, all Academy activities were conducted online due to COVID-19. In 2021, we will offer both online and select in-person classes.
- Minimum of two private one-hour lessons per week, per student
- Two studio classes per week
- A weekly class on related non-performance subjects
- One technique class per week, which will include scale, etude and bow arm instruction
- Performance analysis class—topics will include analysis and discussion of various videos and score studying techniques
- End-of-day group discussions regarding progress and goals
- End-of-session awards ceremony with prizes
Each student follows an intensive daily schedule that includes both individual and group activities. Mornings are devoted to private lessons, individual practice, journaling, goal-setting, and teacher check-ins. After lunch, depending on the day, students attend master classes, lectures (which require follow-up essay-writing), and technique and studio classes, with time allotted for individual practice and group journal discussions. The Academy will close with a final day awards ceremony and celebration.
The 2021 schedule will be posted in spring 2021. In the meantime, the 2020 schedule may be viewed as an example of activities.
Anytime that part or all of the Academy is taught virtually, participants should make sure they have the appropriate technology and environment in place so that their experience will be a successful and enjoyable one.
To preserve our favorable student/teacher ratio, enrollment is strictly limited. Applications for the 2021 season must be submitted by March 31, 2021. Late applications will be considered on a space-available basis. Accepted students are required to submit tuition payment online by 5 PM CST on May 3, 2021 to ensure their position in the program.
Applications must include:
- A complete application form, submitted online
- Video performance of two contrasting works on video uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo (Please note that video quality is important. Applicants who submit videos of substandard fidelity will be given lower priority.)
- Private teacher's recommendation letter, emailed to SMA@guarnerihall.org
- $30 application fee